Monday, May 14, 2012

Let's Get Political

Two posts, one week. Holy cow. I know, I know, I go through blogging spurts. However, today I actually did something with X, a first I suppose, that I care about. We went to his first political rally. Granted, we were late and missed the actual rally, but we still lended our support, petted a few dogs and played in Civic Center Park. I hope, more than almost anything else, that when X is old enough to really understand, gay marriage, or the lack thereof, will seem foreign to him--something in history books that doesn't make sense. Something that is so obscure that he won't really understand. Because really, interracial marriage is like that to me. The idea that anyone would tell two adults that they cannot be married because of the color of their skin is just weird to me. Obviously wrong, but almost comically so. Not that I don't get racism, even modern racism, or blatant racism, but government sanctioned discrimination and the refusal to provide rights and protect a minority group. I hope when I tell X he protested that, he is confused, because really, the United State's government didn't allow people to marry? Yes, honey, it was wrong and stupid, that is the only reason I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment