Monday, May 14, 2012

What to Reject When You're Expecting

At least I did something right. Consumer Reports just published a list of things to avoid and do while pregnant, and thankfully I did, or didn't do, most of them. I didn't have a midwife, I had an OBGYN, but I had Amy, who is a midwife, and she advocated for me in the face of nurses and doctors more than I could have ever hoped for, so I think it counts. I am just stunned and borderline offended by some people's use of medical intervention. Now, if there is a medical need, then by all means. When X's vitals dropped, I got an infection, my oxygen dropped and the doctor told me to consider a c-section, I did. I didn't question it. There was a medical reason. I have no regrets. I regret that it was necessary, but it was necessary, and today I have a beautiful almost one year old who is healthy. He was born with high APGAR scores and spent no time in the NICU. That is the best I could give him. I've been working on being less judgey about birth and pregnancy, more of a "to each the own" attitude, but honestly, these decisions affect how medicine is practiced in our country. If women were more informed and made choices based on their health and the health of their babies, instead of on convenience, I feel like there would be more information out there for womens health. So much of the women's health has been dominated by men--male doctors, researchers, practitioners; and not that it makes the wrong automatically, but what is best for mother and child should be the priority. Hospitals need to adopt more guidelines and tell people no when they want to make medical decisions without medical reasons, or to at least ensure an understanding of those decisions. There is an idea in our country that you can use medical advances to make life convenient, and you can, but is that what medicine should be used for when there isn't even universal healthcare? When my students can't even see a doctor? Because someone can pay for it, it is okay? Because really, we are all paying for it. Your insurance usage raises my rates, and I assure you, an induced delivery or elected c section costs a hell of a lot more. We may not have universal healthcare, but don't be fooled that it is not costing all of us for people to elect procedures. Finally, having a baby isn't convenient. It is life changing. That baby will be, and should be, the center of your life (center, not everything) and starting that with his/her birth is probably a good idea. No, it is a good idea. I wish this list included breastfeeding. Women who breastfeed decrease chances of childhood obesity, illness, chronic conditions, and for the woman, breast cancer. It is healthy and natural and necessary. I get that is doesn't work for some people, working at 6 weeks postpartum makes it almost impossible to breastfeed, and I get that, and since maternity leave is ridiculous in the States, I can't condemn anyone for not choosing to breastfeed, but I will condemn people for not trying. Again, it is information. Okay, I am not sure I actually agree with that, but women need more information. My doctor, who was WONDERFUL, never talked to me about the risks of internal exams, rupturing membranes, early admittance and epidurals. I had to investigate those things for myself. Not all women have the time or desire to do such things, this list makes it easy to access that information, and all pregnant women need this information.

http://consumerreports.org/cro/2012/05/what-to-reject-when-you-re-expecting/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment