Thursday, July 7, 2011

Appreciation

Since having X there are quite a few things that I am grateful for, that either didn't impact me before him, or I took for granted.

I am really grateful for ADA (American's with Disabilities Act). It ensures that there are elevators, ramps, huge bathroom stalls and automatic door openers in most public places. I am not sure about the specifics, but it makes my life so much easier.
Speaking of bathroom stalls, I am so grateful for them because it is honestly easier to go to bathroom in public than at home since I can just take him with me and not worry about him or Ella.
I LOVE Flatiron's Mall--it has new parent parking and a nursing lounge, I go there once a week just to get out of the house.
My cousin Amy. She has been a life saver. I call her with anything about X or me. She has come over to the house to help me breastfeed, taught me how to use baby carriers and generally just let me hang out with her. I idolized her when I was a kid, so having it now is pretty amazing.
Crockpots--I am not a big crockpot cooking person. In fact, I generally think it is gross. But I can make my family dinner because I have one. So once a week I use it and am getting better at figuring out recipes that are not so high in sodium and processed materials.
Kindle on my phone--I have a Kindle, it has some issues, but even if it worked properly having the app on my phone is amazing. I can read all the time now. I still need two (well three really) hands to breastfeed X, but after he eats he needs held upright so he doesn't spit up his entire meal and then after I change him he needs rocked back to sleep. It takes about 45 minutes each time he is up--15 minutes to eat, 15 minutes upright, diaper change and then 15-30 minutes until he is back asleep, so I lose anywhere from 1-1.5 hours of sleep every time he gets up (which last night was every two hours). However, I can read for at least 30 minutes of that (if I am not falling asleep).
Super stores--If I didn't hate Wal-Mart I would be all about it. Getting groceries, fabric, baby supplies, clothes and who knows what else would be amazing, since getting baby in and out of the car is the hardest thing.
Drive-through anything, but particularly Starbucks, I just wish there were healthier drive through restaurants, or place you could call and order, then drive through.
Text messaging--talking on the phone is almost impossible, texting is so much easier because you can do it at your pace. If the baby is screaming I just wait. Plus I can text, shush or sing and bounce all at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment