Monday, July 18, 2011

Bathroom Remodel




My very good fried Millie just went through a bathroom remodel, of the only full bathroom in her house. I can commiserate with this since we did it last summer. Thank god X did not exist yet. Although this was last year, and not baby related at all, I am still posting it here so that Millie can see it :)

One day last July Mike was playing video games and heard an odd dripping noise. After some investigation he realized it was coming from the ceiling, directly below the shower that I was currently in. This was way (the picture is taken upwards from our living room of a broken pipe in the subfloor).








This is how ugly it was before. I wish I had a picture of it before we ripped it out, it was hideous anyway.














During the rip out--Mike did almost all of this part, I am a wuss. 

 This hole in the floor from where the pipe broke. We had to fix it from the bathroom so we had to take out the floor, the subfloor and then put it back in. Thank god Mike is handy, and that Home Depot offers credit cards.
 Instead of doing water resistant drywall, we went with cement board. Why? It doesn't rot. Ever. It is heavy and expensive, but it is cement. Totally worth it. The previous water resistant drywall was so rotted it was disgusting, and neither of us ever wanted to deal with it again.
Then I started to tile. PITA. I did all of the tile. I am pretty impressed with myself. Mike makes things stable and safe, I make them pretty :)




 I even tiled the floor, which was a huge pain in the ass because we chose large tiles and had to cut a lot of them. Cutting tile sucks. Mike did that part. We also picked white tile, we have a black dog. In retrospect it was a poor decision.
 All done!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

gorgeous donna!!! i'm super impressed with the tile job! I have to post photos of my bathroom. How long did this all take?

I HATE posting comments from my work computer...it never saves my name so that i can post as me...i always have to do it as anonymous after like 10 tries of siging in.

-Millie

Post a Comment