Friday, August 19, 2011

The things I do for love

There are few things in the world I love more than ice cream. Half and half being one of them, followed by hot, fresh, white bread with Irish butter, followed by X. I love him more than my morning coffee and more than butter. Which is crazy because when I was a baby my mom caught me eating a stick of butter dipped in sugar. That is how much I love this little boy. Which is good, because I have to give up ALL OF THAT.

 Hopefully not for forever. At least for two weeks. See, X has been having some health issues. Nothing serious, but he has eczema (on his butt of all places, which is really, really rare and causes diaper rash issues) and another skin rash on his torso. He also seems to have some sort of allergy that causes his eyes to be swollen and look tired all the time, plus he is congested a lot. I thought it was just him getting used to being in the world and not in my belly, but apparently not. I guess a lot of that sounds like a food allergy. And since all of his food comes from me, that means I am giving him the allergy. Now, they can test for milk protein allergies in a baby, but that is all. I don't want him having allergy tests this young so we are going the other route--I will stop eating the five most allergy inducing foods, then add them back one by one and see if any of them cause a reaction. I guess it can take up to a week for some foods to leave my system, and another week for him, so for two full weeks I am not eating anything with wheat, dairy, eggs, peanuts or fish. Did I mention that is EVERYTHING I EAT. I don't eat a lot of meat or grains, and I do eat a lot of fresh produce--but I eat it with yogurt, or cheese, or a cookie. Hell, I can't have granola bars or goldfish crackers or even gluten free health food because it has freaken dairy or eggs in it. It is seriously ridiculous. No beer :( No eating out :( No ice cream. Then I get to reintroduce it, wait at least 48 hours and see what happens. If nothing happens I can keep eating it, if not it is off my plate for the next 21 months. Damn that is a long time. So today I had an almond butter and jam sandwich on gluten free bread, some fruit, some cinnamon graham cookie things that have a distinct aftertaste similar to carob (puke) and quinoa and amaranth mixed with sauteed zucchini and cabbage. And a shit ton of almonds. And two Larabars. And I am still starving because all I want is the damn little debbie oatmeal cookie sandwich that I bought before I knew I couldn't eat it.
12 more days to go. I can do this, but fuck X, if you could stop depriving me of things that would be great, you already took over my sleep, my body and my bed. Leave the damn icecream alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment