Saturday, April 9, 2011

Baby Shower Mostly Presents

I had my baby shower today. It was pretty great. I was surprised by who showed up. I have a lot of aunts and very few of them made it, as well as very few cousins. I did have a lot of friends come though, which was pretty awesome. The party was also supposed to be from 1-3. Quite a few people got lost so they were late arriving, so we didn't even start presents until after three and a lot of people had to leave around then. It was totally fine with me, it just made it more of a staggered party, which is sort of nice in a way. I felt bad that so many people got lost though. It was good we didn't do games, that would have been a disaster. It was just a party--which is what I wanted. I forgot my camera though and therefore only have pictures from home. I will get pictures from other people though. I finally got a few pictures from my mom.


Here is all of the awesome stuff we got though :)

We also got a stroller and this swing--but they are in the garage and I am not carrying them up. Okay, so what is in these bags? I lot of cute soft things. The softest of which being loveys which are apparently irresistible since I got so many :) I admit, they are the cutest, softest things on the planet.

Next on the list of "way more than I expected" are receiving blankets. I read that people get you a lot of these, but I was still shocked. We got 16 (4, 4-packs) actual receiving blankets and two thermal blankets that my aunt said she liked more than receiving blankets because they have more stretch. I guess someone gave them to her once and she loved them, so now she gives them to first time moms. Seems reasonable. You use these blankets for everything--swaddling, burping, diaper changing, wind blocks. But 16? I am not sure I need all of those, and I am not sure I don't. Time to whip out a book :) We also got a really nice, soft blanket that is actually warm.
I have a very talented aunt who does interior design who made me these beautiful wall hangings and ottoman. The ottoman is also to help the baby learn to walk since it doesn't move and it has places to hang toys and other items that the baby wants. I love that she made them for me and I love how well they match a nursery that she has never seen.


Along the lines of the nursery are these great pillows and decor items from my other aunt. I think they are super cute.

Here is all of the super practical stuff we got--first aid kit, comb and brush, bath tub, bottle rack, bottles, dishwasher basket, pacifiers, butt paste, teaching ring, sippy cup, mattress cover, sheets--you get the idea.



Clothes!! First up we have the cutest baby gap outfit ever! Mike will totally love it and it is so soft. You just can't beat Gap for softness. Next we have a four piece outfit that is actually for 9 months, which will be awesome because we have no clothes for that age and the clothes are wintery which is perfect. We also got a sleep sack which is just like a giant blanket for sleeping. After that we have the froggies, which I suppose is why you shouldn't shop until after you baby shower. Whatever, I have the receipt and obviously my friends and I have the same great taste--except now I have matching pants, bibs and shoes (with little froggies in them)!! Then we got three packs of onsies, a pack of hats, a couple pairs of pants and these awesome kimono style shirts with pockets on the sleeves to prevent the baby from scratching himself. Brilliant. Last we have super cute overalls with a polo and a cute romper thing. I think I want more romper things like that, I like them.



My cousin is also a midwife and will hopefully attend X's birth. She gave me lavender spray, an awesome book of affirmations for delivery and a baby sling. My mom, on top of everything else she gave us, and gave me an Ergo carrier and baby insert--so I am all good to carry the baby (my mom also got us the car seat and stroller which I didn't photograph because they are in the garage).



Mike's aunt got us this diaper bag filled with stuff. I am super picky about diaper bags, which is why didn't register for one, I just bought one for myself (let's face it, a diaper bag is really for the parents) and Mike registered for a backpack. Although this is a nice bag and was filled with stuff, I will probably donate it to someone else because we already have one (that I love) and Mike really wants a back pack.


We also got a variety of cloth diaper necessities. We got three wetbags (we already have one) and a wipes kit (it comes with wipes, glycerin soap pellets to make solution, a spray bottle and a tub). Aren't the wetbags gorgeous? To think, all of that for poopy diapers.



Finally, toys. We didn't get many, but we did get a few rattles on the ottoman above, a mobile, some keys and stacking toy and an awesome sound machine that is also a plush giraffe.


Overall, we got some really awesome stuff. I learned a few things too, I will not buy people stuff that is not on their registry, unless it is homemade. People spend a lot of time on registries and need that stuff so unless you know it is amazing, or it is clothes or one of a kind, just buy the bottles they wanted, okay? Second, I learned to not register for so many darn blankets, I never thought we would get so many. Maybe we need that many? Finally, people do really want and need practical stuff. Baby stuff is cute, but people need bottles and baby shampoo.

We are pretty well set at this point. There is still a lot of buy, but nothing too critical. We have to get a mattress, pack and play (to use as a bassinet) and sheets for the pack and play. And a breast pump and accessories, which I didn't register for because that would be awkward. I think those are the only things we really, really need.

2 comments:

Tree Hugging Attorney said...

I want adults to get cushy swings. Is that too much to ask?

Donna said...

Me too, I want one so bad

Post a Comment