Saturday, April 30, 2011

Miserable

I am not sure what happened in the last few days, but I went from an uncomfortable, slightly cranky pregnant woman to a miserable pregnant woman in significant pain. What changed? I have NO idea. I felt great on Wednesday, well, as great as one can feel while carrying around 30 pounds directly in front of you. I was in a good mood, I enjoyed my labor class, Mike and I had a good evening, I was uncomfortable, but nothing too bad. Then, on Thursday morning I woke up with swollen hands and feet and while walking Ella I started to have Braxton Hicks contractions. They began as normal BH, but soon turned into uncomfortable contractions and I started to get cramps in my back. I even considered calling into work, but I had two kids with interviews and one of our teachers was already out. So I went to work and it was okay except I kept having BH. By lunch time I was having them pretty consistently every 30 minutes apart and was miserable. I went to the interviews and lunch and just felt like crap. Then I had professional development after work for an hour and half and almost cried at the injustice of it all (hormonal imbalance for sure). By the time I made it home I was miserable. I didn't really sleep that night because my stomach hurt so much from all the BH so I couldn't put any pressure on it. See, you can't sleep on your back and when I lay on my side, even with my knees propped up on pillows, my gigantic belly still either touches my legs or the bed or the pillow, and none of these were acceptable and if my belly button rubbed against anything, like if I sank a little into the pillow or rolled over than the blanket touched me, it was extremely painful. What the hell? So, I woke up on Friday, walked Ella and said hell with this and called into work. I slept in the recliner belly up and then on the floor and the BH finally stopped. Since then I have felt better, but just not good. It is like I am learning to live with it, but it is awful. I am hoping this means labor is imminent. Next time I get pregnant, I am taking leave starting at 38 weeks. If I had to make it through one more week of work I would be fine, I could psych myself up for that, but right now I am looking at the possibility of 4 (that is when the last day of school is, and if X comes late, I will be there). F this.

X is fine. He is measuring at 37 weeks as of Friday, which is perfect. He is head down, but not fully engaged yet. He dropped some though. I had a strep B test, I will get those results soon. The doctor said that everything I was experiencing, including the cramping, is totally normal, albeit sucky. I am just really hoping he comes at 38 weeks. I did my mom that favor, I think it is fair. Plus we are ready for him. The baby room is done except for a trash can which we can't seem to find. Everything is washed and put away. We have all the furniture, clothes and toys we need. The room is clean and ready except for things I need Mike to do (like use power tools) but even if that didn't happen it would be okay. I know everyone says it is easy to have him inside, and I get that, but right now I am the only one who can do anything for him, and I am really sick of being in charge. I just want someone else to take care of him, even for a little while. Oh, plus Mike thinks I made up the existence of relaxin so I would like him to have to do something to take care of the baby for a while instead of thinking that the fact that all of my joints don't line up anymore and are constantly relaxed is all in my head and that I am just huge and therefore have a hard time doing things when there is really a physiological reason other than the 30 pounds I carry around these days.

On a super good note, Mike's work sort of rocks at baby stuff and they provide a medical grade breast pump, the Medela Symphony, a $1600 pump! Well, I am hoping they provide it. They do provide one, but it says first come first serve and there may be a waiting list. We filled out the paper work and Mike faxed it in, but we haven't heard from them and Mike hasn't emailed or called them to check in on it. Which is frustrating to me since I had a coupon that expired today, but his point is that they have the paperwork. My point is that he faxed it and faxes tend to get lost and misplaced and we need to know if we have one so I can buy one if not, especially since they are SO expensive. Plus, I am now really attached to the idea of having a great pump instead of the shitty one I would have bought. They also give each child a carseat! We already bought an infant seat, but we will still need one for X when we is bigger and they have one for 22 pounds until 80 pounds (it converts to a booster seat). And it is totally free which is freaken awesome.

We also tried to get maternity photos, but every time I make a date with the photographer it snows. It is the end of May, why the hell is it still snowing? So, that is the only reason I see for him to stay in, and every day I am more miserable that seems less important.

I feel like I can really start hoping for him on 5/5/11 when the Dr thinks he is 37 weeks and by 5/9/11 I am going to start talking to him constantly about getting the hell out, because that is when I think he is 38 weeks and there is no reason for him to need more time cooking. It is bizarre, I keep hoping I have all of these gross and/or painful things happen because they are a sign of labor. Like I hope I feel him drop and need to pee more, and I hope I lose my mucous plug, pretty soon I am going to hope that my water breaks. What the hell? Who thought I would ever wish for such things?

Here is the 36 week update, even though we are almost 37 now. The photos are also from exactly 36 weeks, when I was still happy and only slightly uncomfortable.



Baby's skin is getting smooth and soft, her gums are rigid, her liver and kidneys are in working order, and her circulation and immune system are basically good to go. Her lungs are the only organs that still need to fully mature, but every day she gets a little closer to breathing on her own.

With one month to go, your baby weighs about six pounds and is fattening. Her full length from crown to feet is about 20 1/2 inches. Has your baby's movement slowed down? If so, you shouldn't worry. Five to ten percent of all mothers report that babies start to slow down as they grow larger and get more cramped for space. Still, you should be able to feel your baby move more than ten times a day. If you're concerned, try drinking a sweet beverage, such as orange juice, and then lying on your side for a while. Most babies will wake up and start to move. If you're still concerned, contact your healthcare provider.

Baby should soon descend into your pelvis, which will give your lungs a little room to breathe (literally). The bad news: This puts the brunt of baby's weight on your hips and pelvis, and will make them pretty sore. Add in your ever-loosening ligaments, and you may soon be taking on that oh-so-adorable pregnancy waddle.

As women in the grocery store have probably already told you, you look like you could go any minute. And they may be right—your due date just suggests a time when the baby's likely to be born. In reality, you could go into labor any time between now and six weeks from now! Your belly button is becoming flattened, and may even stick out like a wine cork. You may feel a lightening sensation on your ribs and organs as your baby descends into your pelvis. Breathing and eating will be easier, but you'll be running to the bathroom more often than ever, and the change in pressure may cause shooting pains in your groin or leg. If you're aching (and we don't see how you couldn't be), indulge in a pregnancy massage from a professional masseuse, or find a pool, and take a swim. At home, try sitting on an exercise ball to take pressure off of your back.

1 comment:

Carmella said...

I am so excited for you that you got that pump! If you have any trouble with latching or anything it's going to be SUCH a great help! And that's awesome about the carseat too! I am so jealous of your husband's job! The military is more like 'your baby can only go to this one doctor in your town, so good luck with that.' well, they would be better with insurance if we got the kind that we had to pay for, and we literally spent nothing on the hospital bills for having the baby, so i really shouldn't complain at all. You still look amazing by the way, all baby! And NO stretch marks! Yay!! Can't wait :-D I hope it goes quick for you bc I know how bad it sucks (I HATE pregnancy and I'm glad you do too, people who thinks it's all great piss me off, haha)

Post a Comment