Tuesday, March 29, 2011

8 More Weeks

I just keep telling myself, eight more weeks, I can do this for eight more weeks. There is sort of a lot going on in baby land, and in Mike and Donna land, right now over all. I don't feel like blogging all of the details, so here comes my ever-trusty, reliable, bulleted list:
  • I have gained 10 pounds in the last month, the goal is three
  • With said weight gain, it is no longer just baby weight, I am legitimately getting fat
  • I passed my GTT test with super odd results that indicated I was more hypoglycemic than anything, which I suppose is good, but now I am supposed to eat every three hours and include a protein, see bullets one and two for more details about that
  • My belly and Mike's belly measure the same in circumference this week, right at 41 inches.
  • I am on Spring Break, and really don't want to go back to work at all
  • I had to take my car into the shop for a couple of reason--I needed a new key and remote, my airbag sensor light burned out and Mazda doesn't let anyone but them fix something if it has to do with safety, and overall it was making a slight humming noise that was increasingly getting louder. I figured it was the dealership and all so about $500-1000. Nope, $1500--and I am not sure that included the key and remote. F.
  • A squirrel made a nest in Mike's truck and ate a bunch of wires--I have no idea why it would want to do that. So now we soak his truck with pepper spray and moth balls in an effort to keep the damn thing out. His truck smells amazing if you were wondering.
  • We finished out birthing classes and I learned that I am terrified of epidurals. I already hate IVs, so going natural is definitely the option I am going for, which I already knew, but that was more preference, it is now the least of two evils.
  • I have eight more weeks of pregnancy, but I am hoping X is on board with coming about two weeks early. Not anymore than that, I want him fully cooked and there is a lot of evidence that says even 37-38 weeks makes a big difference, but holy god, please only let it be 6 more weeks.
  • We have a ton of stuff that we still need to buy for him, but I am waiting until after my shower which is in about two weeks. I am excited, but I have no idea what to buy for hostess gifts :(
  • I compulsively made a list of every single thing we need, priced it at BRU and Amazon, added the various discounts we get at both and now have a list of where I will buy everything. Overkill, yes, super organized, double yes.
  • I still don't have stretch marks, but I am scared to mention any pregnancy symptoms I don't have because I feel like I immediately get them after that. That dark line is starting to form, but it is pretty light still. There are quite a few other things I don't have, but I am not putting them to paper (err, electronic paper) until after the baby is born.
  • I bought a sewing machine so that I could make X a book sling, to buy one would cost me about $100, to make one cost about $200. Great job Donna!
  • The nursery is almost complete, we are waiting on our glider and ottoman, we need to hang the book sling and some shelves, put up some decals, wash diapers and clothes and we are done!
  • I still need to buy about $100 in diapers. We will be able to diaper X for a total of $400, which is pretty amazing. Our electric bill may go up about $10/month, but compared to disposables I am pretty excited.
  • I can't find our camera, which is where there are no photos of all of this stuff.
  • X has been moving a lot the last two or three days, I am not sure what the hell he is doing in there, maybe discovering a new sport?
  • I decided to play soccer with my nephews, I paid for it later. I was in so much pain that night and the next day I was almost in tears and had to take a four hour nap. It was miserable. Note to self, do not run when carrying 20 pounds directly in front of you that bounces. I pulled a muscle in my groin, stretched some ligaments in my belly and really hurt my back. Plus, with X bouncing around in there I irritated my sciatic nerve again. Yesterday was rough. I feel better today.
Okay, that is it I think, I will upload photos when I take them :) I am off to the dentist, to spend more money I don't have. Yippee.

In baby news (remember, it is a week off because I didn't get how it worked :)

Baby's now the size of a squash!
Ready or not, baby's getting ready to emerge. He's probably in the head-down position by now, with his bottom facing up. This is the comfiest way for his body to fit in your increasingly cramped womb and will make his eventual exit (only a few months away now!) much easier. (If he's still head-up, don't panic -- there's still time for a flip before birth.)

Your baby weighs about 4 pounds and is about fifteen to seventeen inches tall. Photographs of babies in utero at this stage show their skin becoming less translucent and pinker, as layers of fat are deposited under the skin. His skeleton is rapidly ossifying (turning from cartilage into solid bone), which means that kicks will become visible through your shirt as the trimester progresses. Well-placed kicks under your ribs can take your breath away!

For mommy:
Was that a contraction? Yup, but it's just for practice. Those strengthening Braxton Hicks contractions are just your body's way of prepping for the real deal. (If you feel more than four in an hour or have discharge, call the doc.) Farther north, your nipples are getting darker and (yes, it's possible) bigger -- all the better for baby to see (and latch onto) in a few short months.


From now until delivery, you'll be gaining about a pound a week. About half of that gain is the baby's, the rest is fluid retention. Fight bloat by avoiding high-sodium foods and carbonated beverages. Call your care provider if you suddenly feel puffy in your face or hands; this is a symptom of preeclampsia. If you're still working, you're probably already counting the minutes until your maternity leave starts. During the next six weeks, you may be trying to decide if you'll be one of the sixty percent of moms who will return to the workforce in the year after having a baby, or if you'll be among the forty percent who stay home.

No comments:

Post a Comment