Tuesday, March 8, 2011

New Family Traditions

One of the best things about having a baby is getting to pass along family traditions. Mike and I actually do a lot of traditions even though it is just the two of us, but I really look forward to doing them with X. So tonight my cousin posted on her page that her twins were making leprechaun traps for school. We started talking about it (well, facebooking) and I have decided it will be a yearly tradition to celebrate St. Patrick's Day at our house. We will of course have corned beef and cabbage at night too, because I like to make it once a year, but this will be a great day tradition (and something we can do the weekend before).

When I was a kid my mom did a lot to make less known holidays special. Like we always got "love gifts" on Valentines Day. The elves came on Thanksgiving and brought treats, Christmas and Easter were CRAZY holidays that involved all sorts of elaborate shenanigans that, at least on Easter, my aunt and uncle contributed to. It was great, and I had an awesome childhood partially due to these traditions, so I am excited to start a new one with X, Mia and Atticus.

So, this is how it will work. Prior to St. Patrick's day, the kids will build leprechaun traps. I need to find a good children's book about leprechauns first...Anyway, the kids will design and build traps. Sort of like Easter Eggs--you can do it before, but they are for use on the day. Then, the kids will set them out on the eve of St. Patrick's Day. In the morning, they will find the traps slightly disheveled or damaged because they *almost* caught the leprechaun, but he got away! However, in his struggle he will drop gold coins (the chocolate kind) and lots of gold and green glitter--maybe even a few small trinkets that he uses to trick people into giving him gold. Plus Lucky Charms for breakfast. I am so excited, this will be a great tradition. The tooth fairy's got nothing on me!

This is Mia's trap. Yes, it is a birdhouse painted green and gold with the words "no free gold" on the side, because "leprechauns do the opposite of what you say." Apparently it can't get out because it is in the dark...or something. Amber kept trying to tell her it needed a trapping mechanism, and she kept getting all humanitarian on me. Didn't want to scare him, he has to breathe, etc.

Atticus' trap. The gold coins lead to the rock painted gold. When lifted the string releases and the cup drops on the leprechaun.

No comments:

Post a Comment