Tuesday, March 8, 2011

We have a squash!

So, I apparently count my weeks wrong. I am 29 weeks 1 day pregnant, which means I am actually IN my 30th week. Oops. Oh well, no reason to change it now. Just instead of what is happening now, all of these "growing" posts are actually what happened a few days ago. Oh well, no biggie.

I am definitely getting huge, fast. After talking to my cousin-midwife I am once again concerned about my protein intake. I failed my 1 hour gestational diabetes test, which isn't a HUGE deal, but it totally sucks. Even if I pass the three hour test, which I most likely will, it still means I had a spike in my blood sugar which isn't good for anyone. So my awesome cousin sent me this list and said the biggest deal is the protein. F. I hate protein. I am supposed to eat 80 grams per day. After working as hard as I could today to get more in my diet (yogurt, eggs for breakfast, peanut butter snacks, skim milk, etc) I am still only at 63 grams. Oh, and I am not supposed drink juice. Boo. All I am supposed to drink is water, milk and raspberry leaf tea--which tastes like green, not like raspberry at all. It is supposed to make my uterus stronger and prevent hemorrhage later. Awesome. So, I am trying to eat right and getting ready for the three hour diabetes test, which should be super fun. I almost threw up last time, so this should be awesome. I just hope I don't pass out from not eating for 15 hours and getting my blood drawn.

The baby is doing well, aside from him giving me diabetes maybe. He likes to move around a lot, more flipping than kicking. I feel him all of the time, sometimes it is painful, most of the time it isn't. At night it seems to hurt a lot, I am not sure why, maybe he gets stuck and then doesn't want to move, but if I am laying on one side and need to flip over because of hip pain I get intense belly aches. Or if I have to get up to pee, which is about every 3 hours. But it is sort of fun, I can kind of play with him. And when I talk to him, or Mike talks to him, he gets really active and moves around. I still feel him really low, like at my bikini line, which means that he is head up. It is not concerning yet, but I would rather him at least flip to head down sometimes. He mostly is head up or traverse.

In baby news, this is what Xavier was doing last week I guess :)

Baby's now the size of a squash!
Baby's energy is surging, thanks to white fat depositing beneath his skin. And since he's growing so fast (weight will triple by birth), things are getting kind of cramped in the womb. What all this means for you: Get ready for some more kicks and jabs to the ribs.

Your baby is about two and a half pounds and would be between fifteen and seventeen inches tall if he could stand. Your baby's adrenal glands are producing a chemical which will be made into estriol (a form of estrogen) by the placenta. This estriol is thought to stimulate the production of prolactin by your body, and the prolactin makes you produce milk. So even if your baby comes early, you'll still be able to breastfeed. Each passing week improves the likelihood that your baby will be born strong and healthy. His brain can detect rhythmic breathing and control body temperature, so he's less likely to need breathing assistance should he be born early. He's growing eyelashes, adding fat, and developing his brain. Because of brain wave activity, researchers have speculated that babies can even dream at this time!

And in mommy news:

Thanks to your ever-expanding uterus, it's time to welcome back the constant bathroom dashes. And try your best to forget about any emerging varicose veins -- they might be ugly, but they're harmless and should fade after delivery. Until then, avoid standing or sitting for long periods of time and make sure to get some exercise (it'll boost your circulation).

As the levels of prolactin increase in your body, your breasts may secrete colostrum, which can dampen your bra. Prolactin also has a sedating effect, and you may feel the need to take naps the way you did in the first trimester. Your uterus is now in a position where it exerts pressure on your bladder. Your frequent trips to the bathroom may also remind you of the first trimester. If you can, keep up your swimming, walking, yoga, or other non-weight bearing exercise, though you're not feeling as energetic (and as comfortable) as you did last trimester.

No comments:

Post a Comment