Sunday, June 12, 2011

LC

I went to the lactation consultant yesterday because breastfeeding is still really painful, and it isn't supposed to be at 20 days postpartum. I thought maybe I had thrush because I have a serious burning sensation after I nurse that lasts about 4 hours. It pretty much sucks a lot, and if anything touches my chest it is unbelievably painful, which is unfortunate since I have a new baby that I like to snuggle. Anyway, I don't have thrush. I really don't have anything wrong. X could latch a little better and open his mouth a little wider, but that is it. Which is good, but it sucks too, because if I had thrush it would suck but they could give me medicine and it would go away. After talking to the LC it seems that it won't ever go away. The latch pain should go away in a few more weeks, it is just getting used to it, but the other pain is caused by a very fast and strong letdown, which is why my one week old only nursed for 10 minutes instead of 45 like most newborns. X is getting plenty of food, so that is awesome, but the letdown is so fast that I feel it. And there isn't anything I can do about it. It just hurts, and will continue to hurt, indefinately. My only consolation is that the LC said I will eventually get more used to the pain. Really? That is all you can give me? I will just get used to it? Now I understand why all of the breastfeeding classes focus so much on the benefits of nursing, if I wasn't convinced that this was super important, I would have quit within the first weeks. Well, 3 weeks down, 49 more to go. I really wanted to enjoy breastfeeding....

No comments:

Post a Comment