Monday, January 3, 2011

20 Weeks

Whoo hoo, we made it half way, and I am sporting a permanent bump! I will do my best to upload more images for my best friend who lives so far away again, but hopefully she is back for peaberry's grand entrance.

I am feeling pretty good, have maternity clothes, a decent amount of energy and am really excited for the baby. I think being pregnant makes me happy, I was accused of "not really being all that negative and cynical compared to other people" today, so obviously that is a change. I can't wait until Thursday when we find out the gender and get to look at the baby, I just want to see it again. I hate only having two ultrasounds. Plus, I LOVE our nursery. Going into the yellow room just makes me happy, I just lay in there all the time. Ella will even come in there now. On a sad note, the baby is most active around 7:30 am--I used to just lay in bed and feel it move and poke it back, but now I am driving to work then, so I can't feel it or pay attention as much. :( Oh well, I had two full weeks of feeling it uninterrupted so I guess that is better than most people. Mike can even feel it in the morning if he is home too, so maybe on weekends. We are registered for all of our baby classes, except one that Mike may want to take, but it is his deal at this point. I have my first class in a few weeks. It is excited when you can actually start doing stuff, until now it has just been waiting. Now things are actually happening.

As far as week 20 goes, I have a freaken cantaloupe under my shirt!
Baby gulps down several ounces of amniotic fluid every day, both for nutrition and to practice swallowing and digesting. And, these days, those taste buds actually work! Studies show that after birth, babies respond best to tastes they've already had via amniotic fluid. Meaning, think about what you'd like your future child to eat as you prepare your own lunch.

By week 20, your baby begins to produce vernix, a white, creamy substance that protects his skin in his watery environment. Permanent teeth are starting to form behind his baby teeth. He seems able to differentiate between morning, afternoon and evening and starts to become more active at certain times than at others.

For mom:
Congrats! You're halfway there...and at one of the great milestones of pregnancy. Increased blood flow is making the pelvic area extra-sensitive, libido is resurging, and the weight gain has just barely begun.

Around now, you should feel a psychological boost: You've made it halfway already! It's a good time to find a childbirth class to educate you about labor and calm any anxieties. Plus, you'll meet other parents-to-be and possibly create friendships for both you and your child in the years to come. Your care provider will now monitor your growth by measuring the height of your uterus with fingers or a tape measure. Your uterus is now about in line with your belly button. From now on, the top of your uterus will grow toward your rib cage at a rate of one centimeter a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment