Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Joy of Cloth

I bought my first cloth diaper yesterday. I have been stalking Eco-Politan, a local cloth diaper store, but I haven't bought any because I am terrified I will spend all of this money and then they won't work with our son. But, I need SOMETHING when he gets here, so I bought some. I figure a little at a time will help the cost seem less. Diapers are expensive though. Like, really expensive. So, here is my first stash.
The two top ones are Thirsties Covers in newborn size. They fit babies 6-25 pounds (I think, maybe it is 18) and have three different rise options. Although M and I are both against velcro, the lady convinced me to get these two in velcro because it makes them even more adjustable. Next to them are Osocozy Indian cotton prefolds. These are the cheapest diapers ever, and I really like them. They are the old fashioned kind that people used before disposables. M is not at all into prefolds, but after intensive research I found that other diapers just don't fit newborns, not until they are about 6 weeks old. And the fitted ones made just for newborns are about $18-26 each and only last about 8-12 weeks. I am not spending that on 2 months. So, I will try the prefolds and used sized diapers only for night time. Here are two close-ups, the second one has a prefold inside, so it is how it will look when it actually goes on a baby instead of all flat.
Next up we have Best Bottom Diapers. I am SOLD on these. I love them, but I couldn't find them locally and I really wanted to support local business. Then I got a message on facebook saying my local store was offering them! I just hope gigantore likes them too. What I love about them is that they have double leg gussets, less chance for leaks. They are adjustable so they grow with baby which saves money, but they also have snap in inserts. Okay, so here is a quick lesson in cloth diapering. There are these diapers called pockets, they have a waterproof shell and a lining, then you stuff a pocket between these two layers with something. A prefold, a liner, whatever. Then when baby goes, the liners come out and you wash the whole thing. The advantage is that they get cleaner than just an all in one diaper (think disposable, but you wash it, it is just like that) and takes less time to dry. But, they are expensive and you still have to wash the whole damn thing. These are different. The liner snaps in so nothing touches baby but the $4 insert, baby goes, you pull it out and snap a new one in. So, I need WAY less covers and the inserts are same price as they are for pockets. As convenient, no. Less wasteful, yes. So, it is WAY cheaper (you can use a new liner every two hours at $4 a pop and one cover at $16 or you can use pockets at $16 each time), less wasteful (think about the laundry) just as easy since you have to stuff a pocket the other way and I LOVE the colors and prints. I only got two because I am trying to be reasonable here. The cow print is on the biggest setting, the chunky monkey (they all have icecream names to describe the color :) is on the smallest, that is a lot of growing! You can also see the double gussets on the chunky monkey.

Here is a close up of the snap on the insert and a pic of the chunky monkey with an insert in it, so again it looks like a real diaper instead of deflated one. The liners are four layers of cotton and a top layer of microfiber to help wick moisture away from baby.
And lost but not least, my sample of soap nuts! I need to wash all of my diapers, and my liners and prefolds three times before I can use them, so that is what I will be trying these babies on.

No comments:

Post a Comment