Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Boring Week 27

Wow, the baby has been really active the last few days. I think he has decided he likes to chill in front rather than in the back where I can't feel it. I am not sure when he sleeps. He often wakes me up moving around and as far as I can tell he never really mellows out. I really hope me feeling sick doesn't affect him, but I am sure all of the sneezing, coughing, etc bothers him since it makes me stomach contract. Luckily I haven't had any more severe Braxton Hicks contractions, just a few little ones here and there. I am torn between really liking feeling him move and just wanting him to calm down for a few minutes. He is also really squirmy, and I am not a huge fan of that feeling in general, it is gross feeling, like he is slimy and slithery. I like it better if he just kicks or flips, even though it sort of hurts sometimes. I just hope I feel better soon so that I can pay more attention to him.

Baby's lungs are going through some major developments these days, which (combined with the opening of previously plugged nostrils) means he's now able to practice inhaling and exhaling. The lack of air in your womb means every "breath" is filled with amniotic fluid, but hey -- it's progress.
Your baby weighs about two pounds and is about 12 to 15 inches long, about the size of a small pot roast. If your baby were born now, he would have an excellent chance (85 percent) of surviving. He still isn't fully formed and would probably not be able to breath by himself. He would need to stay in an incubator to keep his body temperature regulated, and he would have a weak liver and immune system. (Fact: Babies have more taste buds at birth than they will have later in life. Newborns can sniff out and tell the difference between their mother's milk and someone else's.)


The weight of your baby is putting pressure on your back, which can cause shooting pains (sciatica) in your lower back and legs. Lifting, bending, and walking can make the pain worse. Warm baths, ice packs, and changing positions may help. The volume of your amniotic fluid is reduced by about half. With less cushioning blocking the view, you'll be able to see bony knees and elbows poking out of your stomach when the baby kicks and turns. As you grow, you may start to see stretch marks on your breasts and abdomen. You may also have a hard time bending over and tying your shoes. Your heart rate may have increased, causing you to feel flush and look winded with less exertion.

No comments:

Post a Comment