Sunday, February 20, 2011

Trimesters

Trimesters in pregnancy are a giant scam. Or really bad math. Women are pregnant for an average of 40 weeks. That includes the two fake weeks at the beginning. Mathematically that is 13.3 weeks each, or 93.3 days each. It isn't like that though, at all. I totally understand this in the first trimester. Developmentally, the baby changes from an embryo to a fetus and major organs are formed. Medically this is significant. Women start to feel a little better, hormones stabilize, the chance of miscarriage significantly decreases and the baby can take more because risk to the brain and other organs is significantly decreased. So, I get the 12 week mark (even if you aren't even pregnant for two of those weeks). That leaves 28 weeks. Logicially, that should make the third and second trimesters 14weeks long. But it doesn't. Why? I have no idea. I have done a ton of research and there is nothing special that happens at 28 weeks that doesn't happen at 26. Nothing for mom or baby. In fact, there isn't even consensus on when the damn third trimester happens. Some things say I am already in the third trimester, but not my book or doctor. They say 28 weeks. Why do we say the third trimester starts at 28 weeks! This really frustrates me. It is just illogical. The third trimester should start at 26.6 weeks or at 26 weeks, but no, it doesn't. Lame. Oh well. My belly grows inches (literally) every day. It is getting huge. I had a really cute pic, but I accidentally deleted it. I took more. Here I am at almost 27 weeks, which is a completely uneventful week in pregnancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment